Monday, May 18, 2009

Sweet surprises.....

Well, as you know my job centers around being an analyst/statistician, but an added perk to my job is the time I get to volunteer! Trust me when I say this, it is not about getting out of the office it is so rewarding and I adore working with the children. I volunteer with three fifth grade classes and teach a science class to each once a month. Well, the school year and my science time is sadly coming to an end. I hate it when school ends, granted it is only a couple of months but I dearly miss the kids. Yes, I do take the teaching seriously and they do in fact manage to learn whilst laughing!
Today, was my last lesson with one of the classes and Aubree ran up and hugged me before the class started! So sweet. They were a little late making it back to the classroom because they had just finished running a mile! The children are such a joy to be around. I feel like their cool/fun older sister! Basically, I'm not their parent, I'm not their full time teacher so they love me unconditionally. Today was very bittersweet for me. It was almost my last class for the school year and next year I will have a new crop of fifth graders. Thanks to their extremely thoughtful teacher they surprised me! One girl shyly came up with a gorgeous bouquet of flowers, a card they had all signed and a tiny pouch. The flowers were perfect, smelled wonderful and matched my yellow and white striped sweater beautifully. The card was so thoughtful and is now sitting on my desk. Side note: last week in my class two of the boys wrote me a sweet thank you note too! The last and final surprise was a tiny satin pouch with a sterling dolphin charm from a local jeweler. How perfect? It is their school mascot. While normally I would oppose any sea life jewelry I love, love , love this and plan on putting it on a necklace or bracelet by tomorrow morning.
I cannot thank the class and their fearless, thoughtful, wonderful teacher enough. They thank me for coming each time, but it is truly a joy every single time I go. I would not trade this experience for the world! (with or without the gifts I love doing this!)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails