Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sweet Tooth....

So I got the good news.....err news last Friday around 6:30 pm. I spent half the day 7:00 am until 11:45 am in a doctor's lab getting a glucose tolerance test. Essentially you "drink the kool-aid" and have your blood drawn six times over the course of the next several hours. Needless to say, the process was mentally and physically exhausting! I was working off an empty stomach and no sleep and a sugary beverage. All in all not the best combination!

Well I brought a large book and magazines and curled up in one of the comfy chairs as I waited to repeat the process over and over. The nurse could not find my tiny vein so I ended up getting stuck with the darn needle countless times. I walked out feeling like an addict with all the pin pricks in my arms!! I was so light-headed even after eating lunch I had to leave work. I think I came close to passing out! Oh well, it is over....and that evening the nurse called an informed me I could very well be diabetic! That explains a lot about my diet and problems with diet in the recent years.

Sadly , I do constantly crave sugar or sweet things so I created a makeshift recipe. This is kind of a twist on the classic meringue puff (or forgotten cookie). To make it you take egg whites and whip them with a mixer until you have stiff peeks. Simply add whatever number of egg whites you desire. One egg white makes roughly 4-6 cookies. I usually use 4 or 6 egg whites, then add one pack of sweet-n-low for each egg white. If you can have sugar you can add vanilla or almond extract. I leave it out. When the whites are stiff, spoon the mixture onto baking sheets and bake at 325 degrees for 15-18 minutes. My oven cooks hotter than normal. *I must warn you these are tasty to me, but that is coming from someone who never has sugar! So for an Oreo eater they probably leave much to be desired.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails