Friday, July 24, 2009

Yummo!

I don't think I've blogged about this before, and if I have, please excuse the duplication. My own approaching birthday got me thinking about everyone else's birthdays. Back story, I happen to be the office baking fairy who is responsible for baking homemade treats for my coworkers quarterly.....and much to my chagrin it is time for the third quarter celebration. Admittedly, I have gotten a little tired of baking, but some people genuinely appreciate my time and effort. Fact is, they were complimenting me today, so my hard heart is getting softened at the moment and I may sign onto another year of baking.....time will tell.
So now I am trying to decide what to make......German chocolate, red velvet, pound cake, cookies....or an icebox cake....the classic icebox. To this day I remember Mr. Rogers making one on television, but where did this cake begin? The National Biscuit Company — later shortened to Nabisco introduced these Famous Chocolate Wafers in 1924, along with a ginger and a sugar variety. The chocolate ones might have fallen off the radar as the non-chocolate varieties did had some inventive 1930s housewives not developed s recipe for this glorious chocolate cake.
It is relatively difficult to find these little puppies, but I have procured them from Amazon and they are sometimes carried at Publix. So, if you happen to get your hands on a box or two, here's the recipe.

Ingredients:
3 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 packages (9 ounces) chocolate wafer cookies
Unsweetened cocoa powder

In a large bowl, beat cream, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. To construct the cake you can make a traditional, long cake like the one below or a round cake.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails