Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Raindrops keep falling on my head....

Five hours and three-hundred and some odd miles later with only one wrong turn I find myself in the New York of the South (Atlanta). I headed straight for Lennox and my love, anthropologie. I snagged some lovely sweaters and realize that my carriage was about to turn into a pumpkin if I didn't leave soon. I hurriedly left and headed for the hotel/motel.I plugged the directions into the Garmin and was at the hotel in no time flat. I wondered where I was supposed to park considering there were conflicting comments on the web. One said onsite, one said valet, one said self. In the future I should call (I blame myself--never self park in Atlanta, New York or DC). I notice a car coming out of an alley and realize if I navigate my way down this is where I'll be parking. I buzz the operator and am immediately let in--good security, huh? I park and proceed up to the lobby level. I check in and begin the laborious process of schlepping my baggage up to the fifth floor (no porter involved). After successfully in the room I began unpacking my things. Having hung the contents of my suitcase on five hangers I started up the laptop to begin working. Testing....testing...testing....still no Internet access. I buzz the front desk and they offer to send up maintenance. Little did I know maintenance would scare me to death. I thought I was a goner--let's just say maintenance was less than kosher. I called my mom so that if I was mugged, raped and chopped into small pieces someone would know. Thank the Lord I survived...still with no Internet. I then locked every door I could find. I sat on cross-legged in the center of my bed reflecting on my situation. I breathed a shallow sigh of relief, knowing that I would be sleeping with one eye open, but I had survived. The question was could I do this for five more days? Then I heard it.....the sound of running water. Did someone turn on the shower? Did someone sneak in? Was maintenance back? I nearly jumped out of my skin and crept toward the bathroom wondering what I would find. There was a rush of water coming from the gaping ceiling tiles. Great--the last straw. I called mom, and given her lack of Atlanta expertise I phoned a friend and he managed to aid this damsel in distress and at the eleventh hour we found a hotel. I grabbed my clothes off the racks, shoved them into my suitcases sans folding. I rode the elevator downstairs and said two things: "There is water pouring out of my bathroom ceiling and I would like to cancel my reservation." To which the front desk clerk responded, "OK, ma'am." His sheer lack of objection probably guaranteed they were used to these situations. I then lugged about 150 pounds of bags to the subterranean garage slinging my bags into the back of the car and locking the door swiftly. I proceeded to pull out of the garage waiting on the ole Garmin to get a signal using the address my mom had texted me. Then the rain started (and I don't mean more ceiling rain). I was in Atlanta in the rain trying to find a place to sleep at 8:45pm. I drove around several blocks before biting the bullet and calling my Atlanta friend. Thankfully he was a little more patient than I would have been and talked me through all the streets....then I uttered um I followed my GPS and keep ending up at this dive bar....it does not look like a hotel to me! We then realized I had an extra northeast in my GPS address....great. We tried again and he talked me through every twist and turn patiently as I freaked out up until the point where I pulled in safely to the wondrous hotel and handed my car over to the valet...ahhhh relaxation....

*I am thankful I found a safe place to stay and thankful for the help I had, but I have to say this was the most uncomfortable I have ever felt in a hotel. Also, the water was not pouring out above the shower, but above the toilet...use your imagination. By the time I was safely behind door number two of hotel number two I was so hyped on adrenaline that I did not hit the sack until about 1:30am. My seminar began at eight. Hello, caffeine.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails