Sunday, April 19, 2009

Climbing to Safety.....

Are you a Tall Boy? Will you have Hope in a Hopeless World? It's okay if I Can't Find My Way Home because I can Climb to Safety while wondering where my ticket goes as I scream at the conductor thinking Ain't Life Grand and I'll never reach an All Time Low! Yes, I attended my first Widespread Panic concert this past weekend, and it will definitely not be the last. I am becoming a concert junkie because I would have gone back today had I had the opportunity.

My traveling companions thought we'd see hippie VW vans and Hari Krishnahs; we saw none. What we did find as we walked up onto the Widespsread tailgate (as I like to think of it a tailgate without testosterone-everyone was chilled due to what they had inhaled) you could see the hippie braids and boots, everyone melded together as people wandered from camp to camp. No doubt, some groups had likely been here all three days. This was people coming together for the music much like The Dead or Woodstock, but this, this was Widespread Panic! I did not want to miss a minute because my appetite for this band had been whet and I could not satiate it. I made certain we made it into the amphitheater before North Mississippi Allstars started playing. The crowds filed in and a few people started to jam out, but the real dancing started when the band came out. People, old, young, short and tall danced the entire concert with everyone embracing the music even one elderly member of security.

I had listened to their music for years, and acknowledged their talent, but I never fully understood until I saw them live. It is impossible to get the energy and force of the crowd on a CD. The live music grabs you......know I can begin to understand why some people are (dare I say): Spreadheads.

I am left with one thought......when is their next show?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails