Friday, December 25, 2009

Form meets function....

I got them! My main Christmas wish...sure it may sound weird, but I wanted a pair of Hunter rain boots. I know, I know I had two, one from the J.Crack outlet and a free pair, but these were the penultimate of rain boots and I have lusted after them for years. A little kooky I agree and it's doubtful that anyone shy of gardeners got RBs from Christmas, but hey, stranger things have pleased me. I think I finally convinced my Dad how great they were when I gave him a history lesson last night...here goes:

The boot company began in 1856 in Edinburgh with a mere four employees and nearly 20 years later had grown to over 600 employees. These wellington boots were made for more than just gardening, herding sheep or style; during World War I the company was asked to construct a sturdy boot suitable for for flooded trenches. The mills produced over one million pairs to meet the Army's demands. World War II brought the same demands, Hunter was once again called upon to supply wellingtons and thigh boots. Over 80% of their production was for war materials - from ground sheets to life belts and gas masks. Talk about form meets function....

Today, Hunter is the preferred welly brand for work and play alike, and now I finally have that pair of Green Hunter Wellingtons first produced over 50 years ago....history in the making, huh? Or maybe it proves anything can be justified......

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails