Thursday, February 25, 2010

Show me the money!

I absolutely, positively, 100% love volunteering with elementary students. Honestly I cannot get enough; I love the 30 minutes I get to spend weekly with the five year olds. Their lessons deal with working, saving....i.e. finance for the five-year olds for the layman. My first lesson dealt with writing a few words...and their spelling skills needed a little work. I was used to dealing with third graders, fourth graders and fifth graders but hey it is after all a learning experience for all of us--me included! After that I turned everything into a mini-writing assignment. If they drew something to that they wanted I made them spell it out...slowly sounding out all the letters for them. Can you believe a five year old spelled out Super Mario Brothers Lego?!
One particular lesson dealt with learning the difference between the various coins. This turned out to be quite the comedy. I was talking them through the various coins and I showed them quarters, dimes, and some dollars. They got fairly excited about the sight of cold hard cash. We then moved to the scratch off bookmarks and I handed them coins to use....at this point I heard shouts of "Gimme the money!" This was very humorous, then the kiddos tried to keep my spare change. Teaching kindergartners is most definitely a circus and you never know what they will say...but trust me, it's worth it!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails